The roofers showed up on Friday and got about half the shingles on. They worked all day yesterday and finished up around 5:30 under drizzly conditions. I am so much looking forward to a stretch of 4 or 5 days without rain.
Had to make two runs to get materials....3 bundles of shingles from Menards and 2 rolls of ridge vent from Lowes. If I am at the new house, it is more convenient to run to Lowes in Huber Heights and if I am at our current residence in Tipp, Menards is obviously more convenient. In all, I think we used 53 squares of shingles. Barb says we made the right choice on the color. Until they get the shingles on the roof, it's really hard to predict how it is going to look so that is a relief.
The excavating contractor also worked all day Saturday. He backfilled around the foundation, a job that should have been done a long time ago but not something that impacted any other part of the project so it was not a big deal. However, it is a little easier to work around the outer perimeter of the house now since we don't have the hole to deal with. The above pic is before the backfill was completed.
The excavating contractor also did some preliminary grading along the sides of the house and cut in the driveway that will run down to the garage door at the lower level. Scott, the guy who works for the excavating contractor is really adept with the skid loader. I told him he was like an artist, molding the dirt and shaping contours with his bucket.
SCOTT ( AKA "SHAKEY")
WORKING ON THE DRIVEWAY DOWN TO THE LOWER LEVEL
The plumber is still working to finish the rough plumbing and he should wrap that up mid to late next week. The electrician may show up late next week to start the rough electric. So, things continue to progress about as well as can be expected.
This week I will probably run down to Newport, KY to pick up the mahogany front door. In retrospect, I ordered this earlier than I should have so it has been sitting in their warehouse waiting for me to get it out of their way. Now that the front porch is done we can probably install the door without risk of it getting much exposure to weather. Nevertheless, once installed we will likely cover it and also block it off from use so that the subcontractors don't beat it up.
At church this AM another person asked when we would be in. Wish I had a dollar for every time I've been asked that. Frankly, I don't know and have not even bothered to work up a schedule. We will continue to work diligently towards completion and whenever it is done will be fine with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment