Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Basement Hole Done

The excavating contractor finished the hole today and the foundation crew will be in tomorrow to form and pour the footer. That means we're ahead of schedule for the time being.
I hate to wish for dry weather but it is a bit frustrating that we are looking at 4+ inches of rain over the next few days. Hopefully it will not cause any cave-ins around the hole. At a minimum, it's likely to make the site a bit messy. Oh, well....thank you Isaac!!
I am expecting the well driller either tomorrow or Friday.
Also, I need to get a port-o-potty on the job site. I suggested that we strategically place a roll of TP next to a tree but Barb thinks we should have something a bit nicer.
This morning our plans changed suddenly to include a tornado proof room in the basement. The foundation for the front stoop was originally intended to be just knee walls but since it is such a small area, it became necessary to pour the stoop foundation as 9' walls. So, we will have an area about 6' x 9' that will have a concrete ceiling (i.e. the deck of the front porch) and 9" concrete walls on 4 sides. It's actually perfect for a shelter so I guess that's what it will be. Of course, will need to add a steel door to finish it off. The alternative would be to make it a wine cellar but I couldn't afford to equip it for that purpose. Maybe we'll put just a couple of bottles there for when a storm chases us into our shelter!

2 comments:

  1. You could stock some beer in that cellar too. Oak barrel stouts age well.

    ReplyDelete