Tuesday, October 9, 2012

FIRST FLOOR FRAMED

The main floor framimg is pretty much complete. Unfortunately, the floor has been rained on twice but I guess that's just part of the deal. Both times we used a squegee to get the puddles of water off the floor to facilitate drying and to prevent the water from just setting there and soaking into the wood. If there is too much exposure to moisture, the edges of the sheets will swell up. If that happens, it might be necessary to sand those areas before any tile, wood flooring or carpeting goes down.

The truss manufacturer was running a couple of days behind so rather than getting them late last week, they came at the end of day yesterday. I was worried that the truck may have the same difficulty getting up the driveway as was experienced by the truck that delivered the joists. I am pleased to report that after two attempts during which he lost traction and any forward progress, he was successful on the third try.

The framer has a crane scheduled to lift the trusses into place. Not sure if that will happen today or tomorrow.

The concrete floor for the front porch (which also serves as the roof of the safe room in the basement) was poured last week in the rain. They were able to get a temporary tarp over it and ended up with a decent finish. Last task for the foundation contractor is to backfill around the foundation with abou four feet of gravel.

If I get ulcers from this project it will probably be attributable to DP&L. I spoke with them last week Thursday which was the first contact I had with them in two weeks. They had done absolutely NOTHING on a minor task necessary to go to the next step....a task that involves probably 15 minutes of someone's time. So, we continue to operate with a portable generator. If any of you know someone at DP&L who I could tap into, please let me know.


 THIS IS WHY THEY CALL IT "STICK BUILT"


 BEAMS ARE UP FOR THE SCREENED PORCH


ANOTHER VIEW OF THE SCREENED PORCH
EXTENDING OFF REAR OF THE MAIN FLOOR

No comments:

Post a Comment