Thursday, December 27, 2012

EEEK!

Well, the local mouse population has already discovered that our new insulation makes a pretty comfy home. A few days ago, I noticed a round hole in one area with a pile of cellulose insulation lying in front of the hole. Brad the electrician suggested that a mouse may have taken up residence there. I packed the loose insulation back into the hole and the next day, the hole had reappeared. Clearly, drastic measures were in order so I set a mouse trap baited with peanut butter.
Upon checking the trap on Christmas day, I discovered the culprit. So, I set the trap again and nailed his buddy yesterday.

The drywall was delivered Friday and is spread all over the house ready to be hung. The drywall contractor was supposed to start yesterday but didn't show. This was after a conversation on Friday with him at which time we discussed the expectation that he would start Wednesday. Due to the snowstorm yesterday, I was willing to give them a "pass" on not showing up. They were a "no show" again today so I have a call in for the owner. As long as I work with contractors, I will never get used to their practice of not showing up and not communicating the reason. A simple phone call would seem to be a normal business practice.

DRYWALL STAGED AND READY TO GO


I finished up the low voltage wiring and ended up with probably 30 to 40 runs back to "central command". I ran lots of wire that may never be used but wire is not very expensive and it is a lot easier to install now rather than later.


 CO-AX, CAT6, SPEAKER WIRE, OH MY!

In order to make it easier when working from above, I ran all the wires through a section of PVC pipe which I installed through the top plate down into the wall adjacent to my "central command" closet. The end of the pipe in the attic is long enough such that it will rise above the attic insulation. This will make it a breeze to drop additional wires down into "central command" if the need arises. as you can see in the pic below, I installed an additional pipe section which will give me additional flexibility to separate the wiring in the future.


I also drilled a 2" hole in the bottom plate so that I can bring wiring into this same area from the basement. Someday, someone may thank me for the forward planning.....or, they may think I was a crazed engineer!




No comments:

Post a Comment