The house got a bit tighter yesterday as the insulation contractor insulated the exterior walls and also the ceiling of the basement workshop. They also foamed the concrete foundation wall which forms the east wall of the workshop.
The insulation is cellulose and is blown in with water so that it sticks in place. They then scrape off the excess so that it is flush with the edges of the studs.
I am hoping that the combination of the dense pack cellulose along with 6" walls will provide and extra measure of sound insulation for a quieter home.
BEFORE AFTER
For the ceiling, they have to first install a mesh that will hold the cellulose in place. I don't envy these guys as it is a very dusty job.\
JOHN POTHAST HARD AT WORK
In the above photo, you can see the mesh stapled to the I-joists.
SPRAYED FOAM ON CONCRETE FOUNDATION WALL
CLOSEUP OF FOAM
The sprayed foam shown above is very energy efficient and is somewhat impermeable so it makes for a nice job where there is the potential for moisture such as basement walls. It is somewhat "pricey" so it is not something you would typically use to fill the entire wall cavity for a framed wall. Many builders combine this product with fiberglass in the framed walls. They use about 1 to 1 1/2 inch of sprayed foam which tends to seal against air leakage and then they install fiberglass which fills the rest of the wall cavity to provide the additional needed R value at a reasonable cost.
The spray foam is also used to seal and insulate the band joist.
On Wednesday, the county inspector cam bu and OK's the rough plumbing. We won't require another inspection until the "final" which, as the name suggests, is the final inspection.
I spoke with the drywall contractor today and he will start hanging drywall either Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas. Between now and then I have to finish the low voltage wiring for ceiling speakers, smoke detectors and any other security system wiring. I also want to install some blocks so that it will be easier to mount things such as towel bars later on. Finally, I will be making some minor changes on some of the framing.
On Wednesday, the county inspector cam bu and OK's the rough plumbing. We won't require another inspection until the "final" which, as the name suggests, is the final inspection.
I spoke with the drywall contractor today and he will start hanging drywall either Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas. Between now and then I have to finish the low voltage wiring for ceiling speakers, smoke detectors and any other security system wiring. I also want to install some blocks so that it will be easier to mount things such as towel bars later on. Finally, I will be making some minor changes on some of the framing.
No comments:
Post a Comment